Last night, I was staying with my daughter’s family. After we’d all retired, my grandson started coughing and coughing. It went on and on. He’d caught a cold. I poked around in the kitchen and found some old, crystallized honey and a squeeze bottle of lemon juice. I managed to liquify enough honey to get these mixed up together. I did not measure anything, but just kept adding lemon until it tasted good – sweet, but tangy. I gave this to my grandson with a spoon and he swallowed it, followed by some water. I went downstairs to mixed up some more, but when I got back, he was deeply asleep and I didn’t hear any more coughing during the night.
I used what I had. Sometimes all you have are less-than-perfect ingredients. or not all the ingredients of a home remedy recipe. Try it anyway! Each of the ingredients will have its own properties that contribute to health.
Honey’s healing properties:
- It absorbs water and traps it. In the case of a dry cough, it soothes by bringing water to the tissues, and holding it there.
- It is a natural antibiotic. It contains an enzyme that releases hydrogen peroxide, which kills the germs. That’s why hydrogen peroxide is used as a disinfectant and a mouthwash.
- It provides nutrients, including these vitamins: B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, and pantothenic acid. It contains these minerals: calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. It also contains some amino acids and glucose. Thereby, it contributes to healthy tissue regeneration and stimulates the growth of new blood capillaries, which bring nutrients to the cells.
- It contains anti-oxidants, including one not found in any other food, pinocembrin, which is associated with improved brain functioning. These limit the formation of or damage from free radicals.
Healing properties of lemons and limes:
- Lemons and limes contain unique anti-oxidant flavonoid compounds.
- They are antibiotic.
- They contain great quantities of Vitamin C, which is an anti-oxidant and is also vital to the immune system.
Cough remedies with honey and lemon (or lime).
Use several times a day, before bed, and when coughing starts.
- Equal parts lemon juice and honey.
- Equal parts aloe vera juice and honey.
- Boil a whole, uncut lemon in enough water to cover it, until soft. 10-15 min. Squeeze out the juice, filter out the pulp, (optional). Add 2 T. glycerin, and add it to 1/2 c. honey. (Alternate quantities: 1 pint honey, juice of one lemon, and 1 teas. glycerin)
- Mix 3 T. butter, 3 T. honey, juice of one lemon or 2 T. vinegar and 1/4. teas. ginger.
- Add cinnamon to honey.
- Add ground white or black pepper to honey
- Place 2 cups water, 1 inch sliced or grated ginger, 1/2 lemon, 1 clove garlic, and a generous spoonful of honey in a saucepan. Simmer. Let it cool.
- Mix: 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1 T. honey, 1 T. vinegar, 2 T. water (especially good for a congested cough)
- Mix baked onion juice, comfrey tea, and honey.
- 1 teas. honey plus 1/2 teas. cinnamon powder
- Peppermint tea, with equal parts honey and lemon added, plus a pinch of cayenne pepper or Tobasco sauce.