The flowers are sprouting; the birds are singing; and pollen is in the air. If you suffer from allergies and hay fever, spring may not be a welcome time of year. When pharmaceutical anti-histamines and allergy medications put your head in a fog, you may want to try a combination of all-natural supplements that fight allergy symptoms without fogging the brain or clogging the liver.
Combating Allergies the Natural Way
Allergies occur when your immune system mistakes a normally-harmless substance for a dangerous invader. The immune system then produces antibodies that remain on the alert for that particular allergen. When you’re exposed to the allergen again, these antibodies can release a number of immune system chemicals, including histamine, that cause allergy symptoms. Over-the-counter allergy medications are not the only solution however; the following all-natural supplements can provide similar relief without detrimental side effects:
- Vitamin C – A natural antihistamine, Vitamin C works by destroying the molecular structure of histamine, thereby decreasing the amount of histamine in the blood. This antioxidant can also help relieve asthma symptoms.
- Rose hips – Not only are rose hips an incredibly rich source of Vitamin C (more than citrus fruits!), they are also natural sources of proanthocyanidins (phytochemicals that inhibit histamine-producing enzymes and can thus help ease allergy symptoms) and bioflavonoids – which inhibit the breakdown of Vitamin C in the body.
- Immune system support
- Relief from some cold and flu symptoms
- Improved healing of superficial cuts and bruises
- Digestion support
- Improved detoxification of blood and intestines
- Faster relief from diarrhea and bladder infections
- Prevention of joint diseases and arthritis
- Improved skin and hair health