Your largest organ is your most valiant protector. It’s your skin that completely encapsulates your body, forming a strong protective barrier while tightly holding all of your organs and muscles in place. All of this encapsulating and protecting requires an incredible amount of energy and strength. The skin is constantly repairing and rebuilding, completely regenerating itself every two to three weeks. This process implements a great deal of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) and it may not function properly if you are not consuming enough of this vital mineral.
Sulfur compounds like methylsulfonylmethane are important to your skin for several reasons:
- Methylsulfonylmethane and glucosamine are used to build the disulfide bonds that formulate the connective tissues within the skin: collagen, elastin, and keratin.
- At the same time, MSM also prevents the deterioration or breakdown of these connective tissues.
- It also helps cells divide (reproduce), which is important since the skin needs to regenerate itself constantly.
- Sulfur compounds work with antioxidants to neutralize the damaging free radicals that cause sagging and wrinkling of the skin.
- Methylsulfonylmethane makes cell membranes more permeable, helping skin cells absorb oxygen and nutrients while eliminating toxins.
In short, methylsulfonylmethane can improve the health, flexibility, and strength of your skin while slowing the aging process. The result is renewed skin that looks and feels healthier.
Methylsulfonylmethane for Scars
One major factor in the growth of scar tissue is collagen. Scars are built up by the cross-linking of collagen fibers. When these fibers are built up too quickly or too much, the scar tissue can become tough, bulky, and unsightly. If a healthy level of methylsulfonylmethane is present during the scar-building process, it can help to normalize the cross-linking pattern and result in scar tissue that is softer and smoother.
The mineral can also assist in smoothing out older, existing scars by increasing the elasticity and pliability of the collagen that lives inside the scar tissue.
Addressing Skin Conditions
Because of its attributes as a natural anti-inflammatory, pain reliever, and detoxification agent, methylsulfonylmethane has been found to relieve the symptoms of many chronic skin conditions, such as:
- Scaly skin
How to Apply it
Living Clean offers methylsulfonylmethane in two forms: a pure oral supplement, and a topical lotion. Both products can help improve the condition of your skin.
The oral supplement will increase the levels of methylsulfonylmethane throughout your body, and this can have untold health benefits for you and your skin. The topical lotion delivers a higher concentration of the mineral directly to the problem area, such as a dry, scaly patch of skin or a scar. There is no risk in using both the oral supplement and the topical skin cream at the same time.
- Methylsulfonylmethane Supplementation and its Health Benefits
- How Methylsulfonylmethane and Vitamin C Work Together