If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from seasonal allergies, you’ve probably experimented with a variety of over-the-counter medications and possibly experienced some of their numerous side effects. If these drugs have replaced your allergy symptoms with drowsiness and a foggy head, you may be ready to try an all-natural alternative with no side effects: Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).
Why Do Allergies Make Us So Miserable?
Allergies are associated with an overactive immune system. Occasionally your immune system mistakes a harmless substance (such as pollen) for a threat; your body then pulls out all the stops, putting defense mechanisms into overdrive. It’s these defense mechanisms, such as nasal inflammation, sneezing, and watery eyes, that cause you so much misery.
Most of these reactions are put into motion by a chemical called histamine. Many allergy medications, called anti-histamines, are intended to reduce production of this chemical.
How Methylsulfonylmethane Can Help
Your body uses sulfur compounds to carry out hundreds of bodily functions. Methylsulfonylmethane is the active sulfur compound that is the most prolific in the human body and vital to many immune responses. Increasing your intake of this particular mineral can reduce allergic reactions in several ways:
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) blocks histamine receptors within nasal passages, which prevents them from absorbing the excess histamine that creates allergy symptoms.
- Sulfur compounds reduce nasal inflammation and swelling by increasing blood flow and decreasing fluid buildup.
- These compounds can also inhibit pain impulses along neural pathways, reducing the pain caused by allergic reactions.
- Methylsulfonylmethane helps your cells to detoxify and reproduce, and it boosts energy levels that are often diminished by allergies.
Relief from Symptoms
Within several days of beginning methylsulfonylmethane supplementation, many patients report a lessening of the following allergy symptoms:
- Runny nose
- Watery eyes
- Nasal pain
- Nasal inflammation and swelling
Advantages Over Pharmaceuticals
Since methylsulfonylmethane is a naturally-occurring substance that is already present in the human body, there are no risks in consuming it as a supplement. No side effects or harmful reactions from the mineral have been found in any clinical trials or studies.
Unlike most over-the-counter allergy medications, methylsulfonylmethane doesn’t just reduce the amount of histamine that is produced. It actually prevents your body from reacting to excess histamine, despite how much is present in the blood stream. This means that it can be more effective than anti-histamines.
Where to Find it
- How to Address Arthritis with Methylsulfonylmethane
- Methylsulfonylmethane for Treatment of Chronic Pain