An estimated one in every five adults in the United States suffers from arthritis and joint pain. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for arthritis; doctors are forced to treat only the symptoms, usually by administering a variety of chemicals and drugs. Millions of people are ingesting liver-damaging medications with any number of side effects when they could effectively treat arthritis with an all-natural supplement – methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).
Causes of Arthritis
The term arthritis is used to describe any condition that causes cartilage and joints to become damaged or enflamed. In most cases, this condition comes about as the body ages. Excessive stress on joints, uneven weight bearing, and the natural wear and tear of everyday use causes protective cartilage tissues to thin, stretch, and rip.
The joints and bones which lie underneath the cartilage are then forced to rub against each other, and this creates a roughening and deformation of tissue surfaces. To make matters worse, calcium deposits and bone spurs accumulate due to the friction. All of this friction and stress produces inflammation, swelling, stiffness, and pain.
How Methylsulfonylmethane Can Improve Arthritic Conditions
MSM is a naturally-occurring compound of sulfur as well as an active mineral within the human body. Its vital role in the physiological processes of human cells makes it effective in treating the causes and effects of arthritis. Methylsulfonylmethane can improve arthritis in several ways:
- Sulfur compounds are an integral component of disulfide bonds, which form the very structure of connective tissues in joints and cartilage. These compounds can help to strengthen the tissues and prevent further deterioration.
- Since methylsulfonylmethane dilates blood vessels and improves blood flow, it can reduce the inflammation, swelling, and fluid buildup that create arthritic pain.
- MSM works with glucosamine to improve the elasticity and permeability of connective tissues and blood vessels, simultaneously decreasing inflammation and increasing flexibility.
- The combination of improved permeability of cell membranes and increased blood flow can serve to break up the calcium deposits that add stress and inflammation to joint tissues.
- Methylsulfonylmethane acts as an analgesic, inhibiting pain impulses on the pathways of the nervous system.
As you can see, unlike most pharmaceutical alternatives, this natural supplement can treat both the causes and the symptoms of arthritis. The best part: Methylsulfonylmethane has no recorded side effects, even with high doses.
How to Supplement
Methylsulfonylmethane is safe to take with almost any diet or medication, but it never hurts to ask your doctor first. Start by taking 2 grams daily and see how you feel after several weeks. After consultation with your doctor, you might increase the dosage to as much as 10 grams per day, as needed.
- Methylsulfonylmethane and Chronic Pain Management
- How Methylsulfonylmethane and Vitamin C Work Together
- The MSM Knowledge Base