Add to a saucepan:
- Several cups of water
- One small can of Tomato Paste
- 3 Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Several tomatoes cut in large or small chunks, or pureed in a blender
Simmer until tomatoes are soft. You can then continue simmering the soup for hours, adding water as you go, for best results. Or if you are in a hurry you can eat it sooner.
- I like this soup with a spoonful of liquid yogurt on top
- Or add shredded or broken-up cheese. Use something that melts well in liquid, such as Gouda or Cheddar.
- Croutons are another option.
- Try adding other vegetables and herbs to the soup, such as a sliced onion, garlic, oregano, basil, etc.
- You can also add some mini noodles (put them in toward the end so they don’t overcook), rice, barley, or small meatballs.