Sleep can be a fickle mistress. No matter how tired you feel, sometimes sleep continues to elude you for hours into the night. There are several common causes for insomnia and related sleep problems that you might not suspect.
Common Causes of Insomnia
Today’s high-stress, electronic-charged culture creates a terrible atmosphere for healthy sleep patterns. Here are a few reasons why you may not be sleeping easily:
- Irregular sleep schedule – If your daily schedule is hectic from day to day, you may be ruining your natural circadian rhythms. Your body needs consistent waking and sleeping patterns in order to achieve a healthy sleep schedule.
- Late night screen-time – The human body is naturally conditioned to associate sleep with darkness. Therefore, hours of exposure to computer, television, and mobile screens late at night could be impeding the release of sleep-inducing hormones like melatonin.
- Stress and anxiety – High levels of stress and anxiety can leave one worrying over life’s problems long into the night.
- Age – Sleep problems have been shown to increase with age as the body produces less and less sleep hormones.
Natural Sleep Solutions
While some steps towards healthier sleep habits are relatively simple, others may require a little more time and commitment. Here are a few ways to get started:
- Set up a consistent schedule. Consistent waking and sleeping times are necessary in order to establish healthy circadian rhythms.
- Turn out the lights. Give your mind and body the signals they need to prepare for sleep. The darker, the better, and that includes turning off those phones and tablets!
- Try natural hormone supplements. One great way to help your body re-establish a healthy sleep schedule is to increase levels of the sleep hormone melatonin at bedtime.
More About Melatonin
Melatonin is a powerful and natural way to restore your body’s natural sleep rhythms. This is a hormone that is naturally produced by the pineal gland to induce sleep. Sometimes your body fails to produce sufficient levels of the hormone due to disrupted sleep patterns, unhealthy diet, advanced age, or other reasons. You can create the same gentle sleep stimulation with an all-natural melatonin supplement. In some cases, melatonin can help re-establish healthy sleep patterns after only a few weeks.
Browse the Living Clean store, or read more about health supplements on our blog:
- Boost Your Immunity System in Time for Cold Season
- Bones, Muscles, and Kidneys are all Dependent on these 3 Minerals