Can you think of an herb that comes as a roll-on, a mist, and a tincture? This common plant can help with arthritis, headaches, digestive ailments, and the common cold, yet most people only consider it a flavor. Have you guessed yet?
It’s peppermint, of course! This herb could be growing in your backyard, but it is a lot more than a garnish for your mojito. Mint exhibits antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties, among others. Consequently it comes in several different forms that have a multitude of therapeutic uses.
Considered an essential oil, this highly-concentrated herbal extract comes as a roll-on or in a bottle. In oil form, peppermint is intended for topical use and can be applied (or rolled) directly onto the affected area. Some of its uses include:
- Acne: Apply directly to spots as needed.
- Airway infection & diseases: Add peppermint oil to (room) vaporizers and/or rub a small amount under the nose.
- Athlete’s foot or nail infection: Apply on affected areas.
- Arthritis: Apply and massage on sore joints.
- Cleaning and household uses: Add mint oil to cleaning solutions and to dish and laundry detergent. Also, use it on hard surfaces around the house; drop some oil in the vents and air ducts to help prevent the build-up of fungi, and add just one drop to your toothbrush or toothpaste. (Note: Avoid contact with soft plastic surfaces and materials over longer periods of time, to avoid damage. Try in an inconspicuous area first.)
- Canker and cold sores: Dab the oil directly on the sore as soon as the first symptoms occur. Repeat as needed.
A tincture is intended for ingestion, so this form of peppermint is perfect for many internal ailments. For example, mint is considered extremely beneficial for digestive conditions, such as:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Motion sickness
- Crohn’s disease
- Non-ulcer dyspepsia
Peppermint can also be ingested to relieve the symptoms of coughs and colds or to relieve tension headaches. The menthol it contains imparts a sensation of coolness and can make breathing seem easier.
A peppermint mister has untold uses for both you and the entire household! Closets, cars, carpets, dog bedding, furniture, and bathrooms are all great places for a peppermint mist, which disinfects and also imparts a minty aroma. You can also mist your face, body, and hair for a refreshing and fragrant boost!
Browse all of our peppermint products or read more about herbal curatives: