Most people realize that the body requires a variety of vitamins and minerals to function properly. To be exact, you need over 14 different vitamins and 17 minerals every day to remain healthy. Some of the most important of these minerals are sulfur compounds, like methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), although you may not see them on any “Nutritional Information” labels.
The biological need for sulfur is evident in every human cell. Sulfur compounds work with glucosamine, amino acids, hormones, antioxidants, and proteins that keep each cell running smoothly. Without sufficient levels of methylsulfonylmethane, cells would not be able to perform the most basic functions, such as cell reproduction or detoxification.
After many years of testing, researchers like Stanley Jacob at the Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine have found that restoring healthy levels of methylsulfonylmethane improves a number of health conditions and risks. Sulfur supplementation may help:
- Alleviate arthritis symptoms by simultaneously inhibiting pain receptors and reducing swelling in the joints.
- Improve flexibility and permeability of arteries, allowing for oxygen and nutrients to pass through more easily.
- Soften and improve the appearance of scar tissue.
- Promote blood flow for healthy blood pressure.
- Block cell receptors for histamine, the neuro-tranmitter responsible for many allergy symptoms.
- Build disulfide bonds, which help to build connective tissues, such as skin, ligaments, and tendons.
- Work with antioxidants , immunity responses, and amino acids to neutralize free radicals, metals, and harmful cancerous cells.
- Help cells to reproduce, rebuild, and heal.
- Work as a analgesic to inhibit pain impulses within the nervous system.
- Reduce swelling and inflammation by dilating blood vessels, improving blood flow, and preventing fluid buildup.
- Prevent the breakdown of cartilage and joint tissue.
- Work with insulin to improve carbohydrate metabolism and healthy blood-sugar levels.
- Alleviate digestion problems by improving PH balance, which helps to normalize stomach function and reduce the overproduction of stomach acids.
Dosage and Side Effects of Methylsulfonylmethane
In all of the many years of studying and testing methylsulfonylmethane, no one has ever recorded negative side effects from taking the supplement, even under high doses.
Since every individual has a different diet and biochemistry, dosage levels may vary. Most experts suggest starting at about 2 grams per day. If you’re suffering from a lot of health problems or if you feel like your current dosage is not effective, talk to your health care practitioner about increasing the dosage.