Chronic pain can be an extremely difficult burden for anyone to bear, especially those who prefer not to go through life under the influence of opiates and barbiturates. Most pharmaceutical solutions for pain management are both addictive and mind-altering, making them an undesirable option for anyone who wishes to maintain a clean mind and body. For these reasons, more and more patients are turning to natural remedies like methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).
The effects of this miracle mineral have been recorded in a number of human clinical trials. One study, by the Southwest College Research Institute, performed a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to test the effectiveness of methylsulfonylmethane against chronic pain. The results showed an average of 25% decrease in pain over a twelve-week period.
Another study, by the Journal of Anti-Aging Medicine, found that sulfur supplements improved pain control by up to 80% within six weeks.
Although methylsulfonylmethane can be used to treat any type of pain or inflammation, the best results in clinical trials have been obtained for these types:
- Swelling and pain in joints and cartilage tissues
- Arthritic pain
- Chronic back and spinal pain
- Pain caused by muscle spasms
- Chronic headaches
How Can Methylsulfonylmethane Reduce Pain?
Methylsulfonylmethane is a sulfur compound that is used by the human body for its cellular functions. The compound can help to reduce pain in three ways:
- It inhibits pain impulses within the nervous system, acting as a natural analgesic. Like other analgesics, it blocks the submission of pain signals along c-fibers in neural pathways, preventing the signals from reaching the brain.
- Inflammation and swelling intensify pain by creating excess pressure in joints and muscles. Methylsulfonylmethane decreases inflammation throughout the body by dilating blood vessels; this improves blood flow and prevents fluid buildup.
- Inflammation is also exacerbated by an accumulation of toxins in human cells. Sulfur compounds improve the cell functions of oxygen intake and toxin release, thus reducing the pain caused by inflammation.
If you’re interested in taking sulfur supplements for chronic pain or inflammation, start with 2 grams of pure methylsulfonylmethane every day. We recommend Rich’s Pure MSM supplements. Browse our entire line of methylsulfonylmethane products, or go to the Living Clean Store for a wide variety of all-natural health and beauty products. You can also read more about methylsulfonylmethane and its uses:
- Various Health Benefits of Methylsulfonylmethane Supplementation
- How Methylsulfonylmethane and Vitamin C Work Together