Grapes are one of those miracle foods that have been valued for their nutritional and curative benefits for over 5,000 years. Indeed, the revitalizing, healing qualities of the grape have been proclaimed in ancient Egyptian writings, Greek philosophy, and ancient Roman myths. Despite their apparent lack of “modern” science and technology, these ancient writers were not wrong. The skins and seeds of grapes are packed with a range of essential vitamins and minerals; in fact, grape seed extract has a few unique nutrients that are difficult to find elsewhere.
What’s Hiding Inside the Grape Seed?
Due to its bitter flavor, the grape seed is often discarded during consumption. Unfortunately, if you spit out the seeds of the grape, you are disposing of some very important nutrients. Some of these include:
- Oligomeric proanthocyanidin (OPC): This powerful antioxidant fights cell-damaging free radicals, strengthens and repairs connective tissues, and soothes allergies by reducing histamine production.
- Catechins and other flavanoids: Flavanoids like catechin have anti-inflammatory and anti-swelling effects. They have also been reported to boost the immune system.
- Resveratrol: This powerful nutrient has been shown to have a marked slowing effect on aging, and may even help to prevent or slow the growth of cancer.
- Vitamin E: Another antioxidant, Vitamin E soothes and protects cells, helping them to absorb oxygen. It has also been shown to slow down aging processes and improve heart conditions.
- Linoleic acid: This omega-6 fatty acid forms the lipid layer of all cell membranes and is absolutely essential for cellular function. Maintaining sufficient levels of linoleic acid helps boost immunity responses and prevent diabetes and heart disease.
How to Reap the Benefits
Most people don’t feel like crunching grape seeds on a daily basis, but that’s what supplements are for. By taking a pure extract of grape seeds, you can reap the following benefits:
- Slow down the aging process, both outwardly and inwardly
- Improve eye problems and overall vision
- Reduce varicose veins
- Help prevent diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and other illnesses
- Improve flexibility of joints and arteries