Amino acids are responsible for a vast array of functions and biological processes within the human body, but each one excels in different areas. The amino acid arginine, for example, has become a leading natural treatment for sexual dysfunction.
Improving Sexual Health
Since the late 1990s, the medical community has been studying the effects of arginine supplementation on sexual function. The results are overwhelmingly positive. Here are a few ways that arginine can improve sexual health:
- Improving cases of erectile dysfunction in men
- Increasing quality and duration of erection
- Aiding the flow of blood to the genitals in both men and women
- Improving sexual performance
- Increasing libido
These results are largely due to the fact that arginine is used by the body to produce nitric oxide. Nitric oxide works as a vasodilator, which is an agent that widens blood vessels and improves circulation throughout the body. The resulting increase of blood flow can facilitate both the function and the sensitivity of sexual organs.
Ensuring healthy levels of arginine in the body can provide many health benefits in addition to improved sexual health. For one thing, its effects on the circulatory system make arginine a great preventative measure against cardiovascular-related illness. This amino acid can also help to:
- Reduce risk of congestive heart failure
- Treat chest pains
- Combat high blood pressure
- Reduce risk of coronary artery disease
- Stimulate hair growth
- Support healing and recovery from illness or injury
- Contribute to the formulation of collagen and connective tissues
- Support bone growth
Are You Getting Enough?
Many amino acids can be consumed in the foods you eat on a daily basis. Foods like red meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products all contain healthy levels of the amino acid, arginine. There are, however, some conditions that inhibit the body from digesting amino acids properly; such as anxiety, chronic illness, or advanced age. If you’d like to make sure you are receiving sufficient levels of arginine in your diet, or if you’d like to enjoy some of the healthy benefits of arginine supplementation, try an all-natural supplement like L-Arginine Capsules by the Dr. Clark Research Association.
Living Clean provides a wide range of amino acid supplements to help support a balanced and nutritious diet. Feel free to read more about amino acids and their role in the human body on our blog:
- Amino Acids for Healthy Living, Part 1
- Amino Acids for Healthy Living, Part 2
- Amino Acids for Healthy Living, Part 3