Most home gates are relatively far from the main house, and are usually powered via a long wire. It’s a good thing there is a way to get rid of the unsightly wire. You can use a small solar installation to power your gate opener.
Most online solar stores have DIY solar gate openers in their catalogs. The gate will cost around $150 to $300, depending on the specifications and the added services.
Just like any other powered gate, the solar powered gate opens with the touch of the button. But a solar powered gate generates its own energy. Most solar-powered gate opens work on all types of gates, including tube, chain link, wood, ornamental, and vinyl.
During the day, you can use a typical solar-powered gate opener for a maximum of 175 cycles and up to 1,500 cycles on a fully-charged battery.
Installing a solar gate opener on your property can help you save on energy bills. Furthermore, even when there’s a power outage in your location, your gate will open easily to let you in or out of your property. With the backup battery installed with the system, there’s no need to get out of your car to manually open the gate at night or during a rainstorm.
Most DIY kits come with instructions but here are the procedures so that you’ll have a general idea of how to mount one on your existing gate.
- Drill holes in the area where you’ll mount the control box for your solar powered gate opener.
- Now mount the control board carefully. Place it in such a way that it will not hinder the functionality of the gate.
- If the kit comes with a sensor device, bury it on the inside of the property, at least one foot deep in the ground. It should be around 50 feet from the gate. The exit sensor must be buried in a trench and connected to the gate-opener control box via a wire.
- Connect all the wires from the exit sensor, keypad, and the battery to the control box.
- Install the keypad post.
- The control box is the brain of your solar-powered gate opener. It will be connected to a solar panel to constantly charge the battery.
That’s how easy to install a solar powered gate opener. The video below can help you visualize how this works.