Yakitori is a dish originating in Japan, commonly made with pieces of chicken that are skewered and then cooked on a grill.
For health, use the best ingredients you can, such as those that are organic, home-grown, GMO-free, cage-free (in the case of eggs), wild-caught (in the case of fish), and grass-fed (in the case of meat).
- 10 oz chicken breast
- 2 large bell peppers
- 2 leeks
- 12 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Japanese eggplant
- The juice of 1 lemon
- A few tbsp. oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cooking sake
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- Wash the vegetables and chicken and cut into large cubes. Skewer the pieces alternately on bamboo skewers.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
- Mix together the yakitori glaze ingredients and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Grill the loaded skewers, occasionally basting them with oil, until half cooked.
- Coat the chicken and vegetables with the yakitori glaze.
- Grill until done.