CFL Bulbs – Not Such a Bright Idea

Compact fluorescent light bulb
A guest post by The Earth Organization

We have written about this topic before, but the more we find out about it, the more these points bear repeating.  This is important for your health, the health of those you care about, and the health of the planet.

The use of Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) became very popular a few years ago and the sale of these bulbs has been rapidly climbing ever since. At first glance CFLs look like little miracles. They can last up to 10 years and by using less electricity, they save about $30 or more in electricity costs over each bulbs lifetime. Due to these qualities, CFL bulbs may seem green or eco-friendly.  Well, think again.

Compact fluorescent light bulbs contain 5 milligrams of mercury in each bulb, that may not sound like a lot. But how many of those do you have in your home? And how many homes are in America? It adds up! When the bulbs get thrown away and end up in a landfill, they release that mercury into the ground and air in a form of methyl-mercury. If everyone keeps their bulbs for their supposed lifetime, in ten years we are going to have a serious mercury-poisoning problem. Disposing of the bulbs properly requires you taking them to a specialized recycling center that can handle mercury, and there are few places, and they are far between, that can. Whats even worse, these bulbs can cause serious danger in your home, not in ten years, but now!

Mercury is a toxic chemical and with exposure has the potential to affect your central nervous system, impair cognitive thinking, delirium, insomnia and even suicidal tendencies. In children it is even more dangerous, causing autism and even death. If even one of these bulbs breaks, whether it falls off the shelf or a lamp gets knocked over, the mercury is released and can be absorbed through the air or through mucous membranes. If a bulb does break open all your windows and leave the house for at least 30 minutes.

Solution: Dont buy compact fluorescent light bulbs! You can get the same results on your bill and in the environment by just turning off the lights and unplugging electronics when you arent using them. If you make the conscious effort to unplug your appliances and other electronics and turn off the lights when they arent needed, you can save even more money than what using CFLs can! Compare the cost of incandescent bulbs with the cost of losing your short-term memory!

Compact fluorescent light bulbs contain 5 milligrams of mercury in each bulb, that may not sound like a lot buthow many of those do you have in your home? And how

worse, these bulbs can cause serious danger in your home, not in ten years, but now!

Mercury is a toxic chemical and with exposure has the potential to affect your central nervous system, impair cognitive thinking, delirium, insomnia and even suicidal tendencies. In children it is even more dangerous, causing autism and even death. If even one of these bulbs breaks, whether it falls off the shelf or a lamp gets knocked over, the mercury is released and can be absorbed through the air or through mucous membranes. If a bulb does break open all your windows and leave the house for at least 30 minutes.

Solution: Dont buy compact fluorescent light bulbs! You can get the same results on your bill and in the environment by just turning off the lights and unplugging electronics when you arent using them. If you make the conscious effort to unplug your appliances and other electronics and turn off the lights when they arent needed, you can save even more money than what using CFLs can! Compare the cost of incandescent bulbs with the cost of losing your short-term memory!

Original Article: http://earthorganization.com/Library.aspx?tid=30&CatID=13

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply