Black walnuts are an incredibly nutritious superfood that provide a surprising combination of vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, and protein. While eating the whole nut is exceptionally good for your body, you can capture even more health benefits through the use of black walnut hulls.
Applications for the Green Hulls of Black Walnuts
If harvested while they are still green, the hulls of the black walnut have a beneficial effect on the human body. Since ancient Roman times, they have been recognized for a wide variety of health applications, such as:
- Promoting digestion and gastrointestinal health
- Boosting the immune system and protecting cells against free radicals
- Cleansing the body, blood, and digestive tract of parasites, pathogens, and harmful microbes.
- Encouraging bowel regularity, due to a gentle laxative effect
- Reducing harmful bacteria, due to antiseptic properties
- Lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels
Why it Works
Like the fruit of the black walnut, the hulls contain a unique variety of antioxidants, nutrients, and phytochemicals that create therapeutic effects.
- Juglone is a powerful phytotoxic allelochemical that is toxic to organisms such as fungi, microbes, bacteria, parasites, and some plant life. The green hulls contain a high concentration of juglone; this could account for their anti-parasitic and anti-pathogenic properties.
- Antioxidants play a major role in the nutritional health of human cells, helping them to fight off and neutralize harmful free radicals.
- Iodine is a natural antiseptic that helps the body to kill bacteria while boosting its immune responses.
- Tannins are phytochemicals that also help the body to ward off bacteria. They have been shown to help the body resist viruses, inflammatory conditions, and even certain types of cancer.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are vital to the function of cardiovascular systems. Healthy levels of omega-3 fatty acids can help to reduce cholesterol, promote blood flow, and lower blood pressure.
Guidelines for Us
A tincture made from black walnut hulls is one of the most effective methods of consumption. You’ll want to start with one drop per day for five days, to allow your body to become accustomed to its powerful therapeutic effects. After the initial five days, adults can take up to two teaspoons once per week, while dosages for children may differ. Refer to Dr. Clark’s Green Black Walnut Hull Tincture product page for additional information. When using the tincture as part of a parasite cleanse, follow the directions.
To learn more about the work of Dr. Hulda Clark, visit our Knowledge Base, or read more about natural remedies:
- Should You Consider a Kidney Cleanse?
- Abundant Health Benefits of Herbal Goldenrod
- The Walnut and the Parasite