Within the last 100 years the human race has learned a lot about germs, pathogens, and dangerous microorganisms, but could widespread ‘germophobia’ be hurting us as much as it helps? In recent years, more and more studies are showing that the absence of germs and dirt from our lives could be harming our immune systems, digestive tracts, and health in general.
Soil Based Organisms
Before the days of pesticides and antibacterial washes, most people ate foods and vegetables that were freshly harvested from the soil, with only a water bath to clean away excess dirt. Many natural bacteria and soil-based organisms were consumed with the food, and except for very rare cases, people were healthier for it.
Soil-based organisms (SBOs) are probiotics (“good” bacteria) that are found naturally in soil. They provide our GI tracts much needed support for digestion and the immune system. Here are a few benefits provided by SBOs:
- Improved gastrointestinal health
- Balanced colon pH
- Prevention of gut colonization by harmful bacteria and fungi
- Improved GI tract barrier function
- Support for intestinal regeneration
- Support for balancing gut microbiota
- Increased absorption of nutrients in the intestines
- Replenished friendly microflora in the colon
- Enhanced metabolism in the gut
- Normalized bowel function
- Reduced gas and bloating
- Improved immune system function
All probiotics, such as those found in yogurt and lactic acid, are great for digestion. Lactic-acid bacteria perform slightly different functions than soil-based organisms, and are also much more likely to be destroyed by food processing and preservatives, or even by an overabundance of gastric acid in the stomach. In order to keep a healthy balance of microflora in the digestive system, it is ideal to consume both lactic-acid bacteria and SBOs.
Where to Find It
It can be difficult to find any soil-based organisms in food sources due to modern practices of applying disinfectants to almost everything we eat. Unless you grow your vegetables in a home garden, we recommend a probiotic food supplement like Royal Flora Soil Based Organisms.
Shop digestive aids in the Living Clean Store, or learn more about probiotics and digestion on the blog:
- Hydrochloric Acid May Be The Digestive Aid For You
- Reduce Heartburn and Indigestion with All-Natural Digestive Enzymes